Books on loan
The club keeps several books on reserve from premier sailing institutions for our members to have access to. Whether you are studying for a certification or just want to be better prepared before your first sail or regatta, we encourage you to checkout these resources provided for all members. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a book from the UTSC library.
- American Sailing Association: Sailing Made Easy, 2010 – the official manual for the ASA Basic Keelboat sailing course
- US Sailing: Basic Keelboat, 2012 – the national standard for quality sailing instruction
- US Sailing: Teaching Fundamentals for Sailing Instruction, 2012
- North Sails: North U Racing Tactics Coursebook, 2010 – the world’s most comprehensive resource on modern sailboat racing tactics
- Sailing Vocabulary
- Points of Sail
- Boat US Foundation: free, online, NASBLA approved Boater Safety Course
- World Sailing: Racing Rules of Sailing 2017-2020
- Lower Colorado River Authority: Buoys & Markers
- John William Norie: A Complete Epitome of Practical Navigation
- Richard H. Dana: The Seaman’s Manual
virtual sailing simulator
Whether you want to be crew or skipper, learning to sail requires theory knowledge as well as practical instruction and experience. UTSC has partnered with NauticEd International Sailing Education to provide our members with discounted multimedia online sailing education and testing. As a recognized NauticEd practical sailing school, UTSC can verify your documented sailing experience. NauticEd provides a free electronic logbook so that our members can track their practical sailing experience each time they come sailing with us. Documenting your sailing experience is necessary for attaining USCG licenses and for chartering in most locations.
NauticEd Basic Sail Trim Course
NauticEd offers two free online courses when you sign up for an account. We highly recommend the Sail Trim Clinic in particular. This is a fantastic resource that is accessible to first-time sailors and instructional for veterans as well. We also recommend that our members take the NauticEd Skipper Course in preparation for their UTSC Level C: Keelboat checkout certification. This course is much more specific to the sailing skills you need for checkout than what you will find with NASBLA boater safety courses.
In addition to offering high quality, online sailing instruction, NauticEd is also certified by the Royal Yachting Association to provide the RYA Day Skipper Course which covers the prerequisite knowledge for the International Certificate of Competence (ICC), the most widely accepted yacht charter license in the world.